TRAINING GAME'S PURPOSE
In the workplace, teams have many problems to overcome which require leadership, strategy, planning, good communication, performance improvement skills and effective teamwork. Often with the added pressure of a critical time constraint!
Team Shapes is a challenging training game which combines all these challenges into one fun activity. If you have used Colourshapes and Colourblind training activities you will find Team Shapes an ideal follow-up training game.
HOW THIS COMMUNICATION EXERCISE WORKS
Each person is given one or more cards (depending on the number of participants) and by effective communication, identify how their cards can be linked with others to form a pattern.
Sounds easy? In fact it is challenging, fun and as in real life, there are constraints:
- There is no completed "picture" for them to follow
- They are not allowed to look at each other's cards
- They have to accurately describe their shapes whilst others
- listen to see if they have a matching shape
- They have a time limit to plan the task; then 30 seconds for all the team to place the cards into the pattern.
It is also essential that the team clearly define the challenge, agree a strategy and work out a plan to overcome it. However, the limited time is ticking away, adding pressure to the task.
Everyone must get involved or vital clues will be lost. Someone has to take control or over talking occurs and more vital clues are lost.
Time constraints create an exciting climax to the activity. Will their planning and practice bring success in the final run?